Stairway Upgrade Project
The homeowner's condo has hardwood floors downstairs with a carpeted stairway leading upstairs. They wanted the carpet removed and replaced with wood to match the hardwood floors.
The steps included in this project:
- Estimate the cost for material and supplies
- Remove the carpet and determine the condition of the wood underneath.
- Remove all nails and staples.
- Prepare the sub-floor by removing the nose from the existing stair treads.
- Sand and paint the existing stringers.
- Measure the stair treads and risers. I created a template for getting the proper angles for cutting the material.
- Cut, sand and paint the risers.
- Install the risers using construction adhesive and nail gun.
- Cut and sand the stair treads.
- Stain the treads to match the existing hardwood. Protect the wood with polyurethane.
- Install the treads and caulk all joints.